- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The singer-actress, who joins fellow Broadway newbies Danielle Brooks and Cynthia Erivo in the John Doyle revival, is featured in a new video for the show, in which she belts out the title song alongside her co-star.
The musical production will begin previews on Nov. 10 before its Dec. 10 opening at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.
The hit stripped-down version, which was produced by London’s Menier Chocolate Factory in summer 2013 and starred Erivo, is a departure from the splashy original $10 million show, which debuted a decade ago and ran for a little over two years.
The Oprah Winfrey-produced show has a score by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray, which combines jazz, ragtime, gospel and blues. The musical’s book is by playwright Marsha Norman, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Alice Walker and the 1985 Steven Spielberg film that starred Whoopi Goldberg and Winfrey.
Watch the video below.
Aug. 26, 10:30 a.m. A previous version of this article incorrectly noted the revised preview date.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day