- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Brace yourselves darlings, Eddie and Patsy could be heading to the big screen this year.
Absolutely Fabulous creator and writer Jennifer Saunders, who also plays the hapless Edina ‘Eddie’ Monsoon in the BBC comedy, told the Sunday People that she has completed a script for the long-rumored movie.
“I’ve finished the first draft. I’m feeling euphoric,” she said, adding: “My proper New Year’s resolution is to do the film; otherwise it’ll be a pointless year of procrastination.”
Chronicling the misadventures of Eddie and her best friend, Patsy Stone (Joanna Lumley), Ab Fab has spawned five seasons and numerous specials over the last 23 years, the last of which based around the London Olympics in 2012.
However, Saunders admitted she’s been feeling the pressure to get the movie script finished especially because it might cost her more than $153,000 (£100,000) in a bet with frequent collaborator Dawn French (The Vicar of Dibley).
“Joanna Lumley kept announcing it and saying, ‘Yes she’s going to do it,’ and then Dawn French on our radio show at Christmas said, ‘I bet £100,000 that you don’t write it,’ so now I have to write it; otherwise I have to pay her £100,000,” said Saunders.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day