- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“My father could have been a great comedian, but he didn’t believe that that was possible for him, and so he made a conservative choice. Instead, he got a safe job as an accountant,” Carrey told graduates of the Maharishi University of Management in Iowa.
Carrey said his father, Percy Carrey, lost his accounting job when the actor was 12, and the family then “had to do whatever we could to survive.”
“I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was that you could fail at what you don’t love, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.”
Carrey also told the graduates the secret to success is “letting the universe know what you want and working toward it.”
“Your job is not to figure out how it’s going to happen for you, it’s opening a door in your head, and when the door opens in real life, just walk through it,” he said.
Carrey received the honorary degree of Doctor of Fine Arts Honoris Caus during the graduation ceremony. Maharishi University was founded by transcendental mediation pioneer Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Carrey has attended transcendental mediation retreats at the university in the past.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day