- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jim Caviezel, Laura Dern, Michael Chiklis and Alexander Ludwig are suiting up to star in the football pic When the Game Stands Tall for Mandalay and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions.
Principal photography begins April 22 in New Orleans on the film about a visionary coach who led a struggling football team to an unparalleled win streak.
Mandalay produced the drama, which will go out through SPWA’s AFFIRM Films division in fall 2014.
Thomas Carter (Coach Carter) directs When the Game Stands Tall, which centers on De La Salle High School football Coach Bob Ladouceur (Caviezel) and his assistant coach Terry Eidson (Chiklis), who took the Concord, Calif., Spartans prep team from obscurity to a 151-game winning streak from 1992-2003 that shattered all records for consecutive victories in any American sport.
Dern will play Ladouceur’s wife, Bev. Ludwig, best known for his role as Cato in The Hunger Games, will play the Spartans’ standout running back Chris Ryan as he chases the state scoring record.
David Zelon (Soul Surfer, Never Back Down) is producing.
Scott Marshall Smith adapted the screenplay from Neil Hayes‘ book. Peter Nelson and Rich Peluso will oversee the film for SPWA and AFFIRM.
Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com, Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day