- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
During Sunday’s 89th Academy Awards, host Jimmy Kimmel surprised the audience with candy falling from the ceiling.
“This is a show about the movies and you really can’t have movies without candy. It’s un-American really,” Kimmel told the audience. “Close your eyes and wish very hard.” After asking the audience to close their eyes, they were then surprised to see candy “raining” from the ceiling in small white parachutes. Many of the stars appeared excited as they received their Red Vines and Junior Mints.
Later on in the ceremony, Kimmel informed the audience that after giving candy, he can give them something “more substantial.” He then called for the release of cookies and donuts via parachutes.
Receiving another surprised reaction from the Hollywood stars, Kimmel joked: “Gluten is literally falling from the sky.”
This marks Kimmel’s second time providing food for Hollywood’s biggest stars during a ceremony. During his hosting stint at the 2016 Emmys, with the help of his mother, Kimmel and the Stranger Things cast handed out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
During the 2014 Oscars, host Ellen DeGeneres passed out pizza to audience members.
The 89th Academy Awards were held at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center and aired on ABC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day