- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
BEIJING — Jimmy Page, Leona Lewis and Placido Domingo joined Chinese performers including Wei Wei, Andy Lau and Karen Mok at the 2008 Beijing Olympics’ closing ceremony Sunday night.
Held at the National Stadium, also known as the Bird’s Nest, the ceremony was held before a capacity crowd of 91,000 and hundreds of Olympic athletes.
After the handover of the Olympic flag to Boris Johnson, mayor of 2012 Summer Olympics host city London, a red double-decker London bus entered the stadium. From the bus emerged singer Lewis and Led Zeppelin guitarist Page, who performed Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love.” The performance culminated with an appearance by international soccer star David Beckham.
The ceremony continued with South Korean male vocalist Rain, Hong Kong female vocalist Kelly Chen and Chinese-American singer Wang Lee-Hom who jointly performed “Beijing, Beijing, Wo Ai Beijing (Beijing, Beijing, I Love Beijing).” Domingo then performed “Ai de Huoyan (The Flame of Love),” in Chinese and English, with Chinese soprano Song Zuying.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day