- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jason James Murphy, who has used the professional name Jason James, has helped cast numerous films with child actors, such as Cheaper By The Dozen 2 and School of Rock, according to IMDB. His listing on the National Sex Offender Public Website cited his current residence as being in West Hollywood.
Murphy was convicted of the kidnap and molestation of an eight-year-old boy in Seattle in 1996, and served five years, according to the report. The case was the subject of an episode of “America’s Most Wanted,” which led to Murphy’s arrest in New York.
He moved to California in 2005, underwent a required evaluation and registered as a sex offender, but has used his shorter alias in the industry.
Abrams said he was tipped by his manager, David Lonner, who had become aware of Murphy’s background. “It’s shocking and it’s devastating, not just as a filmmaker but as a father and someone who is entrusted to make sure that everyone I work with, especially children, are safe,” Abrams said in the report.
There are no known complaints against Murphy, although his concealment of his real name may be a violation of the terms of his sex offender registration.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day