- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
J.K. Rowling is a strong defender of same-sex marriage, even between fictional characters from different book series.
The Harry Potter creator tweeted at a fan recently that, if Dumbledore and Lord of the Rings wizard Gandalf ever ended up in a gay relationship, they could now tie the knot in Ireland, which is the first country to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote.
This earned the ire of the Westboro Baptist Church, which tweeted, “So @jkrowling wants Dumbledore & Gandalf to marry in Ireland; if it happens, WBC will picket!”
At that, Rowling fired back with: “Alas, the sheer awesomeness of such a union in such a place would blow your tiny, bigoted minds out of your thick sloping skulls.”
This is not the first time that Rowling has used Twitter to discuss Dumbledore’s sexuality. When a fan asked Rowling in March via Twitter why she would claim Dumbledore is gay, the author tweeted back, “Maybe because gay people just look like … people.”
Rowling’s tweets can be read below.
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) May 23, 2015
.@WBCsigns Alas, the sheer awesomeness of such a union in such a place would blow your tiny bigoted minds out of your thick sloping skulls.
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) May 26, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day