- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
WASHINGTON — Former U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards has admitted to having had an extramarital affair with a woman he met in a New York City bar in 2006, ABC News reported on Friday.
ABC said an interview with Edwards would be broadcast later Friday on the network’s show “Nightline.”
According to the ABC News Web site, “Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 44-year-old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.”
The woman subsequently was hired by an Edwards political action committee to produce documentaries, according to the report, which did not directly quote Edwards.
The report also said Edwards, 55, denied he fathered the woman’s baby girl.
Edwards, whose wife, Elizabeth, is suffering from incurable cancer, pulled out of the Democratic race for president earlier this year. During his campaign, he denied that he had an extramarital affair.
His name had been mentioned as a possible vice presidential running mate for Democratic candidate Barack Obama.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day