- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
John Oliver tells it like it is.
On Sunday night, the host of Last Week Tonight opened his 30-minute HBO news/comedy show with a rant about the terrorists who killed more than 100 people in Paris on Friday.
“There are few things we can say for certain, and this is where it helps to be on HBO where those things can be said without restraint,” Oliver said.
Then he got into his “moment of premium cable profanity.”
“As of now, we know this attack was carried out by gigantic f—ing assholes,” Oliver said. “Unconscionable flaming assholes, possibly, possibly working with other f—ing assholes, definitely working in service of an ideology of pure assholery.”
“Second, and this goes almost without saying, f— these assholes. F— them, if I may say, sideways,” he said. “And third, it is important to remember that nothing about what these assholes are trying to do is going to work.”
Oliver said France is a country of strong people with a wonderful culture and lifestyle. Any efforts to hinder that would be futile.
“So to the people of France, our thoughts are truly with you,” Oliver said. “And I do not doubt there will be more to say on this as events unspool.”
Watch the video below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day