- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is done for the season, but before production wrapped, the HBO series filmed a segment concerning SantaCon which posted online Sunday.
The annual holiday event, which occurs in assorted cities, is a pub crawl where the participants dress like Santa or his elves.
Over the years, there have been numerous stories about the event getting out of control, drunken Santas getting in fights and creating a public nuisance. Police usually have to intervene, as shown in news clips.
Oliver, in the segment uploaded to Last Week Tonight‘s YouTube account on Sunday, begged for the event to stop.
“It’s a terrifying combination of binge drinking, public urination and trauma to small children that decades of therapy will never manage to reverse,” Oliver said of SantaCon, in making his case for its demise. He also noted the founders of the event have since disowned it and also lobbied for its end.
News clips from past stories concerning SantaCon debauchery were played during the segment, including one which featured a man recounting how he witnessed a pair of Santas in a sex act inside a New York Duane Reade store.
Oliver ended his segment reading his own Christmas story, once again asking that SantaCon go away.
Watch the full segment below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day