- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
John Oliver highlighted on Sunday’s episode of Last Week Tonight how dangerous it is to discuss mental health more than gun control after a mass shooting, as such has happened again after the Oregon college shooting that left 10 people dead.
“The vast majority of mentally ill people are nonviolent and the vast majority of gun violence is committed by non-mentally ill people. In fact, mentally ill people are far likelier to be the victims of violence rather than the perpetrators,” he explained of “the thing actors pretend to have in order to win Oscars.”
Oliver continued to blast the likes of Donald Trump, Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee for zooming in on the issue at the wrong time, though it is “a clusterf—” in how America deals with it altogether.
“Using the criminal justice system to treat the mentally ill isn’t just ineffective — it’s expensive and it’s dangerous,” he noted. “Often, when someone is having a mental health emergency, the police will be called and that can end tragically. … If we’re going to constantly use mentally ill people to dodge conversations about gun control, the least we owe them is a f—ing plan.”
Watch the video below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day