- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The war-vet-turned actor, who won the show’s 13th coveted mirror ball trophy, has been named the Grand Marshal of the Pasadena Tournament of Roses parade, taking place Jan. 2.
“To be able to participate in such an iconic American tradition is such an honor for me,” Martinez said at a press conference at the tournament headquarters in Pasadena, reports the Los Angeles Times.
“I always knew if I found ways to stay positive, if I found ways to maintain a great attitude, if I found ways to continuously make a choice to want something better for myself…to make the most of this second opportunity to help those around me, good things would happen,” he added.
“His outlook on life is admirable and we couldn’t be happier to have the chance to celebrate the New Year with him as we entertain the millions of fans around the world during the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game,” Rick Jackson, president of the Tournament of Roses said in a statement.
This isn’t the only prominent invite Martinez has received since winning the celebrity dance competition Nov. 22. The Iraq war vet, who underwent 33 surgeries after hitting a land mine while on duty in 2003, was also recently asked to visit the Pentagon for a face-to-face meeting with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day