- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Judi Dench has accomplished nearly everything an actress can hope for in a career. But the one thing that’s eluded the Oscar winner is taming James Bond.
Dench, a best actress nominee this year for Philomena, hung up the role of British Intelligence head M in 2012’s Skyfall, a part she played for 17 years and seven films. She was widely praised for the role, particularly her onscreen chemistry with star Daniel Craig.
But the thing Dench wishes M had done?
“Sorted James Bond out. She’s always trying to and she hasn’t succeeded yet,” Dench tells The Hollywood Reporter with a laugh.
“I’d quite like to have done some sort of unbelievable action film. I was always complaining when I played M that I never got out of the office” she says. “I did at the end you see, and look what happened to me!”
THR sat down with the actress in Jaipur, India, where she is shooting The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2. The video at the top of the post was filmed at the Rambagh Palace, the hotel Dench is staying at while shooting in the city.
Read the full conversation here, where she discusses her career, the challenges of suffering from macular degeneration and why she considers “retire” the “rudest” word in her vocabulary.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day