- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Actress Julianne Hough dressed up as a character from the Netflix prison series Orange Is the New Black for a Halloween themed event on Friday — but the orange jumpsuit costume included blackface makeup.
Her costume was apparently styled after actress Uzo Aduba‘s inmate Crazy Eyes on the show, it included the name tag of the character on her prison outfit.
After the photos were widely circulated online, the actress apologized on Saturday.
“I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize,” Hough stated.
In June, Netflix renewed the Jenji Kohan-created Orange Is the New Black for 13 episode second season.
Hough is featured alongside Russell Brand in Diablo Cody‘s latest film, Paradise, which hit limited release on Oct. 19.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
the hollywood reporter