- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Andrews is best known for The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, winning an Oscar for the latter in 1965. Her screen and stage career has spanned seven decades and includes popular credits such as The Princess Diaries.
“Julie Andrews is practically perfect in every way,” said Kathleen Kennedy, chair of the AFI Board of Trustees. “Her talents across time have inspired a shared sense of joy across generations, and her gifts to our cultural heritage are a testament to the power of this art form to bring us together when we need it most. AFI is proud to sing her praises with its 48th Life Achievement Award.”
The actress will receive the award at an upcoming gala dinner tribute event April 25, 2020. The tribute will premiere on TNT on May 7 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
The AFI Lifetime Achievement Award was established in 1973. Last year’s recipient was Denzel Washington, and previous honorees include Sean Connery, Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton and George Clooney.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day