- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Edgy makeup traditionally has defined the Grammys carpet — until now, that is. On Sunday, nude lips and matching nails — seen on the likes of everyone from presenter Anna Faris and best new artist nominee Kacey Musgraves — stole the show. New York-based celebrity manicurist Deborah Lippmann (whose done the digits of Sarah Jessica Parker, Mariah Carey and Lady Gaga) weighs in on the trend.
“Everything old is new again,” explains Lippmann, who compares the looks spotted on the red carpet to those seen earlier this year at the Golden Globes. “I think a lot of the music people have been doing the nail art thing for so long that they feel like going glamorous.” Rita Ora, who was seen sporting “wild and wacky” nail art to accompany a sophisticated gold Lanvin gown, was an exception.
Also on Lippmann’s radar? Pink’s “perfectly groomed and beautiful” nails, alongside Katy Perry’s light pink polish.
When we caught up with Lippmann by phone during Sunday’s red carpet, she said she didn’t feel like she was watching music’s biggest night because of the tame talons.
“I wonder if there will be nail changes backstage?” she mused. Fingers crossed.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day