- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Barbra Streisand may be enlisting Keira Knightley to be her Catherine the Great.
The Oscar-nominated actress is in talks to star as the Russian monarch in a Streisand-directed biopic, whose script was written by Kristina Lauren Anderson and topped the 2014 Black List for best unproduced screenplays.
Knightley met for the project last year and, since then, talks have been progressing slowly.
Born Sophia Augusta Fredericka, Catherine the Great became the longest-ruling female leader of Russia. The film, which is set to be produced by Gil Netter, will follow the young empress as she find herself trapped in an abusive marriage to inept ruler Emperor Peter III and eventually uses her intelligence and cunning to rise to power.
The Pirates of the Caribbean alum was just cast to star alongside Will Smith, Kate Winslet and Helen Mirren in Collateral Beauty.
Knightley is repped by CAA, the U.K.’s United Artists and MGMT.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day