- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“Keira came out in her Erdem dress and said, ‘I feel like a wood nymph.’ She felt super comfortable, and we wanted to carry that out through the whole look — something easy and beautiful,” says celebrity hairstylist Ben Skervin of his inspiration for Knightley’s boho waves.
See more The Complete SAG Awards Red Carpet
Rather than the typical middle part common to beachy hair, Skervin opted for an effortless half up half down style with a bit of a Brigitte Bardot-inspired bump at the crown. He put a soft bounce in the hair by using Vidal Sassoon Boost and Lift Foaming Mousse and blew it dry with a round brush.
Gathering two-inch sections, Skervin spiraled hair around a large barrel curling iron until the entire head had the desired amount of wave. He pulled back both sides, anchoring them into the back of the actress’ head with bobby pins and U-shaped pins.
See more THR’s Complete SAG Awards Coverage
By pulling out random tendrils to fall forward, he back-combed the loose hairs at the roots to eliminate any unsightly separation at the hairline and created a lift to the hair framing the face.
“The hair has that touchability to it,” says Skervin. “You always want to feel like you can run fingers through it.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day