- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ke$ha announced earlier this month that she had checked herself into rehab, and now her mother is claiming that the 26-year-old singer is not to blame for the eating disorder that led to her wasting away.
Pebe Sebert revealed to People that the intense pressure to be thin stemmed from her daughter’s music industry advisors, including producer Dr. Luke.
Calling him out directly by name, Sebert told People, “Dr. Luke had been telling her how she had to get in shape and lose weight and all this stuff. She was exercising and dieting and ultimately doing everything she could, but not getting thin fast enough. And that’s when she first became bulimic.”
“Dr. Luke told a friend of ours he thought she looked like a refrigerator on her latest video, and could she please try to control her weight,” the concerned mother revealed. “After she went on a 14-day juice cleanse, he said, ‘Thank God you finally got rid of the weight! We’ve all been talking about it!’ So she felt like she couldn’t trust anyone.”
EARLIER: Ke$ha Checks Into Rehab for Eating Disorder
Sebert went on to explain how the situation deteriorated over the holiday season. “Right before Christmas she had a breakdown, and called me from the gas station after she’d thrown up everything, and admitted how much she’d been doing it,” she said.
However, in a statement to People from his representative, Dr. Luke denied Sebert’s allegations. “These statements and allegations concerning Dr. Luke are completely false,” it read. “It is unfortunate that at a time Ke$ha is suffering immensely and trying to heal at a treatment center, her mother is taking this approach with the media. I give Ke$ha my utmost support and well-wishes for a quick return to health.”
PHOTOS: 2013 in Concert Pictures
Upon her announcement on Jan. 3 that she was embarking on a 30-day stint at Timberline Knolls, outside Chicago, the “Tik Tok” singer told fans: “I’m a crusader for being yourself and loving yourself, but I’ve found it hard to practice. I’ll be unavailable for the next 30 days, seeking treatment for my eating disorder … to learn to love myself again. Exactly as I am.”
In October, a planned five-city tour featuring Pitbull and Ke$ha was scrapped a little more than two weeks out from the first show.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day