- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Private equity group KKR has bought its fourth German media company, acquiring Wiedemann & Berg, producers of the Oscar-winning film The Lives of Others and recent Oscar nominee Never Look Away. The deal follows a string of acquisitions as KKR aims to create a major independent German media company.
Company founders Max Wiedemann and Quirin Berg will remain on board as managing directors and join the new media group as head of its feature film production division.
In addition to The Lives of Others and Never Look Away, Wiedemann & Berg have produced a string of German-language hits including Men in the City, Who am I and Welcome to Germany. Their small-screen division, W&B Television, a joint venture with EndemolShine, will continue to run in parallel.
The latest acquisition follows deals by KKR to acquire production and distribution groups Tele Munchen and Universum and television production company i&u TV. KKR’s stated strategy is to combine the companies to get a strong independent production and distribution company to serve the German-language market.
Fred Kogel, CEO of the new, as-yet-unnamed media group, said with the acquisition of Wiedemann & Berg, the first stage of that plan is now complete.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Representation in Hollywood