- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Thomas will play the novel’s main antagonist Mrs. Danvers, alongside Hammer and James as the newly married couple at the center of the dramatic thriller. Having balanced her career between English and French-language films, Thomas earned an Oscar nomination for The English Patient, won a BAFTA Award for Four Weddings and a Funeral and was nominated for a Cesar three times.
Thomas is also guest starring in season two of Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s breakout comedy Fleabag. Du Maurier’s 1938 novel tells the story of a young woman who, upon arriving at her husband’s imposing family estate on a bleak English coast, finds herself battling the shadow of his dead first wife, the mysterious Rebecca, whose legacy continues to haunt the house.
Wheatley will start the cameras rolling this summer in the U.K. and France, and will direct from a screenplay by Kingsman writer Jane Goldman.
Working Title’s Eric Fellner will produce, along with Tim Bevan and Nira Park. In 1940, Alfred Hitchcock directed the preeminent adaptation of Rebecca, which was produced by David O. Selznick and starred Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine.
Thomas is repped by Agence Adequat, CAA and Independent Talent Group.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day