- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
IM Global has sold the movie in a raft of key territories, including to SquareOne in Germany, Gaga in Japan, Eagle in Italy, Paradise/MGN in Russia, Entermode in South Korea, Nordisk in Scandinavia, Impuls in Switzerland, Applause in Taiwan and Golden Scene in Hong Kong.
Vertigo holds U.K. rights.
“Distributors are responding to the film’s irrepressible feel-good factor and 1980s nostalgia,” IM Global CEO Stuart Ford said.
Max Giwa and Dania Pasquini — directors of British indie hit StreetDance 3D and StreetDance 2 — are directing the film.
Walking on Sunshine, set to pop hits from the 1980s, takes place in present-day Spain in a beautiful coastal village. Amanda is getting married to the gorgeous Raf and has invited her sister, Taylor, to the wedding. Unbeknownst to Amanda, however, Raf is Taylor’s ex-holiday flame and the love of her life.
StreetDance 3D, released in 2010, earned north of $17 million and featured debut performances by Britain’s Got Talent stars George Sampson, Diversity and Flawless. It was a production of Vertigo in association with BBC Films.
IM Global’s slate also includes The Butler, headlining Forest Whitaker; Dead Man Down, starring Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace; Welcome the Punch, starring James McAvoy; and Before Midnight.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day