- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
What may be the most stunning car at the 2013 L.A. Auto Show was purpose built for a video game.
At a press conference Nov. 20, Gorden Wagener, vice president of Design Dammler AG, unveiled the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo, a 1:1 scale model of a concept car to be featured in the latest edition of the Gran Turismo video game, to be released in December.
To commemorate the 15th anniversary of the game, Kazunori Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Tuirsmo series, reached out to carmakers to design futuristic cars to be used in subsequent editions. The jaw-dropping Vision Gran Turismo was Mercedes’ contribution.
The car recalls classic Mercedes designs — the grille is reminiscent of the 1952 300SL race car, rendered in animated LED lights — but overall is longer, lower and more aggressive-looking than anything to come out of the Benz mothership. The fastback rear comprises a single unbroken crimson taillight and exhaust ports that wouldn’t look out of place on an F-16.
Although the car is destined to be the source material for the video game, it is spec’d with a real-world 577 hp AMG biturbo V8.
Seriously, this beast makes Tony Stark’s Audi R8 look like a Kiddie Car.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day