- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“I did not think this would happen,” Gerwig said in her acceptance speech. “This is amazing!”
Gerwig thanked A24, the film’s producers, stars Laurie Metcalf and Saoirse Ronan and her parents. “Thank you for always watching all the plays I put on in the living room,” Gerwig said of her mom and dad. “Thank you to my brother and sister for being in the plays.”
She took home the award over The Lovers’ Azazel Jacobs, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri‘s Martin McDonagh, Get Out‘s Jordan Peele and Beatriz at Dinner‘s Mike White.
Lady Bird scored a total of four noms, including one for best feature. The best screenplay category was the only one in which Three Billboards, Get Out and Lady Bird went head-to-head, though that won’t be the case at Sunday’s Oscars.
Nick Kroll and John Mulaney hosted the 33rd Film Independent Spirit Awards, which took place in Santa Monica and aired on IFC on Saturday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day