- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“#25milliontweetymonsters wow! I’m officially feeling like the luckiest girl in the world today,” she tweeted Thursday night.
And on Friday, she posted a photo of herself as Marilyn Monroe to celebrate what would have been the screen legend’s 86th birthday, writing: “#HappyBirthdayMarilyn They’ll never take our blonde hair and lipstick.”
The 26-year-old singer surpassed close competitor Justin Bieber, who has 22.5 million Twitter followers and counting. No small potatoes.
The singer was also the first person to reach the milestones of 10, 15 and 20 million followers on the site. And she’s still going strong. We predict thousands more with the news of this latest milestone. After all, no one wants to feel left out of something this huge in the social networking universe.
What’s earned her this many followers? Well, there is her undeniable singing and performing talent, as well as her outrageous costumes and fashion statements.
But don’t discount her connection to her fans, which is heartfelt and powerful. She creates a sense of family and stands up for what she believes in, from human rights to anti-bullying. And her message to her “Little Monsters” to embrace their individuality is something sorely needed in this cruel cookie cutter world.
According to Twitter Counter, here’s the top ten most-followed celebritites on the site:
1. Lady Gaga – 25 million
2. Justin Bieber – 22.5 million
3. Katy Perry – 20.4 million
4. Rihanna – 19.7 million
5. Britney Spears – 17.2 million
6. Shakira – 16.3 million
7. Barack Obama – 16 million
8. Kim Kardashian – 14.8 million
9. Taylor Swift – 14.5 million
10. Nicki Minaj – 12.2 million
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day