- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The actress-turned-budding-helmer is set to direct The Emperor’s Children, the adaptation of the Claire Messud novel being produced by Imagine Entertainment.
Noah Baumbach wrote the script and was at one point attached to direct.
The book took on the liberal intellectual elite of New York, telling the tale of three entitled but unsuccessful late twentysomethings who orbit the life of a famous journalist in the months before and after the events of 9/11. Two people’s entrance into this circle threatens an upheaval.
Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins are producing via Imagine.
Bell made her directorial debut with the film In a World, which she also wrote and starred in. The movie won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the Sundance Film Festival and was up for the grand jury prize. Bell then went on earn a nomination for best first screenplay at the Indie Spirit Awards, and hercomedy was named one of the top 10 independent films by the National Board of Review in 2013.
As for her acting career, Bell has The Coup, a thriller with Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan, in the can at the Weinstein Co. She also stars opposite Simon Pegg in Man Up.
Bell is repped by UTA, the Burstein Co. and attorney P.J. Shapiro.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day