- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film, billed as a “beautiful movie about the end of the world” stars Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland and Charlotte Gainsbourg. It is Von Trier’s first feature since the controversial Antichrist, which also featured Gainsbourg. Melancholia promises to do for the sci-fi genre what Antichrist did for torture porn.
The trailer sets the scene: Kirsten Dunst’s character Justine is celebrating her wedding to Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) at the luxurious home of sister Claire (Gainsbourg) and brother-in-law John (Sutherland). Meanwhile the planet Melancholia is heading towards earth, setting off a distructive chain of physical and psycological events.
Melancholia is expected to debut in Competition at the Cannes Film Festival next month. The film will bow in Scandinavia in May. Magnolia Pictures has picked up Melancholia for North American release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day