- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Imax has inked a deal with Legendary Entertainment and Universal Pictures to release up to 15 of the studios’ tentpole movies in its giant screen theaters through 2017.
As part of an agreement extension, Imax will join Universal and Legendary’s release strategy for upcoming live-action pics like Dracula Untold in October 2014, Seventh Son in February 2015 and Fast & Furious 7 in April 2015.
The move marks Imax’s first multi-picture deal with both studios, after the giant screen exhibitor earlier released Universal titles like The Bourne Legacy and Oblivion, and more recently Legendary’s Godzilla.
“We are also pleased that our partners at Universal recognize the value of an Imax release, and have joined us to formalize this long-standing relationship,” said Thomas Tull, Legendary’s chairman and CEO, on Thursday in a statement.
“We believe 2015 is shaping up to be a powerhouse year and today’s agreement with Universal and Legendary will help further strengthen our film portfolio for years to come,” said Imax CEO Richard Gelfond in his own statement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day