- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Here’s some awesome news.
Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who wrote and directed this year’s smash hit The Lego Movie, have signed on to script the sequel for Warner Bros., The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Deadline previously reported the news.
Read more ’22 Jump Street’ Directors on a ‘Lego Movie’ Sequel, Kevin Reilly’s Exit and Violence in Movies
It is not yet known if the duo will direct the sequel. The next film in the Lego franchise will be Ninjago, opening Sept. 23, 2016. Warners is said to be eyeing a 2017 release for its in-development Lego Batman spinoff, with two currently untitled Lego movies set for 2018 and 2019.
Lord and Miller continue to have busy schedules. They directed this summer’s Jonah Hill–Channing Tatum sequel 22 Jump Street and are executive producers on Will Forte‘s Fox series Last Man on Earth.
Lego Movie was one of the year’s surprise success stories, grossing $468 million worldwide upon its February release. Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman provided voices.
Borys Kit contributed to this report.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day