- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lena Waithe will be honored with the Trailblazer Award at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, it was announced Monday. The award recognizes content creators that introduce new and unique voices within the entertainment industry.
Waithe made history when she was named the first woman of color to win the best writing in a comedy series award at the Emmys for her work on Master of None. She recently starred in Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One and is the creator, writer and producer of Showtime’s The Chi.
Her latest career endeavor is the upcoming television show Twenties, which she is writing and producing for TBS. In addition to her work both on and off screen, Waithe works with The Black List to mentor young, diverse writers.
“Lena is shaking up Hollywood and breaking cultural boundaries through her innovative and authentic storytelling,” said Amy Doyle, general manager of MTV, VH1 and Logo, in a statement. “Her unwavering passion for equality and inclusion make her the perfect recipient for this year’s Trailblazer Award.”
The MTV Movie & TV Awards will air on Monday, June 18 at 9 p.m. ET from the Barker Hanger in Los Angeles, with Tiffany Haddish as host.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day