- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The project, from New Regency, adapts the Michael Punke novel which tells of a gold-seeking fur trapper who is mauled by a bear. When the two men who are were supposed to take care of him rob him and leave him to die alone, the man wills himself to survive and goes on a 350 mile journey though the wilderness to survive.
RatPac and Worldview are co-financing the pic, which has been in development on and off for over 10 years. At one point, Akiva Goldsman was attached to produce with a script by Dave Rabe. Inaritu has been working on Revenant since at least 2011 and even met with DiCaprio and Sean Penn to star. But timing was never right.
The movie, now with a script by Mark L. Smith and Inarritu is eyeing a fall 2015 release through New Regency’s distribution deal with 20th Century Fox.
Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin, Keith Redmon and David Kanter will produce along with Inarritu, Arnon Milchan and James Skotchdopole. Paul Green is exec producing.
Regency is already working with Inaritu on Birdman, an all-star ensemble comedy that will be released later this year and likely hit the festival circuit in the fall.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Portia de Rossi
James Gordon Meek