- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Samantha Barks is set to play Eponine in Les Miserables, director Tom Hooper’s forthcoming adaptation of the classic novel and stage musical. Barks played Eponine in a 2010 London production of Les Miserables and reprised the role for the 2011 Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert at the 02 Arena.
Barks learned she got the role when theatre producer Cameron Mackintosh appeared at the curtain call of Barks’ current gig on Oliver! at Manchester Palaceand announced the news. Barks joins Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway in Hooper’s follow-up to his Best Picture Oscar winner The King’s Speech. Barks beat out higher-profile candidates Taylor Swift, Scarlett Johansson, Lea Michele and Evan Rachel Wood for the role.
Hooper is directing the film from a script by Alain Boubil, Claude-Michel Schönberg and Gladiator scribe William Nicholson. Produced by Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, distributor Universal Pictures has scheduled the film for release on Dec. 7, 2012.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day