- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Broadway star Leslie Odom Jr. is taking a trip to New Jersey. The Hamilton star is the latest to join New Line’s Sopranos prequel, The Many Saints of Newark.
Set in the era of the Newark riots in the ’60s, the ensemble drama takes place when African Americans and Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats and when, among the gangsters of each group, the fighting became especially lethal. While plot details are unclear, it is expected that some of the Sopranos characters will make an appearance.
Odom Jr. will join the ensemble drama that is already set to star Ray Liotta, Jon Bernthal and Vera Farmiga, as well as Alessandro Nivola, who will play Dickie Moltisanti, the mentor of teenage Tony Soprano, who will be played by the late James Gandolfini’s son, Michael.
Alan Taylor will direct from a script by Sopranos creator David Chase and Lawrence Konner. Chase and Konner will produce, with Nicole Lambert and Marcus Viscidi exec producing, along with Michael Disco The Disco Factory.
Odom Jr’s upcoming projects include John Ridley’s Needle in a Timestack and Focus Features’ Harriet Tubman biopic. He is repped by CAA, Untitled and Jackoway Austen.
The Many Saints of Newark will be released Sept. 25, 2020.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day