- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
So you’ve been listening to the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 from Guardians of the Galaxy on repeat since the movie came out, but you’ve found yourself tiring of “Spirit In The Sky” and even “Cherry Bomb.” With a week remaining before you can listen to holiday music without feeling too self-conscious, what can you listen to in the meantime? James Gunn has a solution: Awesome Mix Vol. Zero.
“As many of you know, music is an extremely important part of Guardians of the Galaxy,” Gunn wrote on Facebook as an introduction to the new playlist. “I chose the songs on Awesome Mix [Vol. 1] ahead of time, and even included them in the script. Where possible, the songs were played live on set – when you see the gang walking down the hall to Cherry Bomb, they were actually walking down the hall to Cherry Bomb.”
Awesome Mix Vol. Zero isn’t another collection of 1960s and ‘70s jams in the same vein as the movie’s soundtrack, however. Instead, it’s a playlist of what Gunn calls “high energy party tunes” — yes, “Party Hard” by Andrew W.K. is in there — created to be played on set between takes.
“Our master soundman Simon Hayes would also play music on set between takes to keep people’s energy up,” Gunn wrote. “He did this while shooting the credit sequence in the Temple of Morag, and he also did it for the Boot of Jemiah, so we could keep the extras hyped and alive and feeling like they were in a bar atmosphere.”
The full playlist goes a little something like you can see below. Given the success of the Awesome Mix, how soon before the official album?
1. Never Wanted to Dance – Mindless Self Indulgence
2. Party Hard – Andrew W.K.
3. The Way It Was – Aceyalone (feat Bionik)
4. I Like It, I Love It – Lyrics Born
5. Let’s Dance to Joy Division – The Wombats
6. Start Wearing Purple – Gogol Bordello
7. Ben Vereen – Pigeon John
8. Teenagers – My Chemical Romance
9. Black Fist – Juskwam and Lyrikill
(Sorry, Internet: This song, it seems, isn’t available on YouTube. I fully expect that to change soon with the attention it’ll get from its inclusion on this list, however.)
10. Timebomb – The Old 97’s
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day