- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In promotional interviews leading up to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1, Jennifer Lawrence constantly talked about how nervous she was to sing for the film. She even cried during the first take, director Francis Lawrence told Vulture.
This weekend, fans were treated to Lawrence’s voice when she sang “The Hanging Tree” in the movie. Katniss serenades Gale and her promotional film crew, singing to the mockingjays around them. “The Hanging Tree,” as Hunger Games book readers know, was a dark song Katniss’ father taught her before he died.
In the movie we get to hear the song multiple times: when Katniss first sings it in District 12, when it’s played in the rebel propaganda video and again during the end credits. Listen to Lawrence’s lovely, haunting voice below.
11/24 10:08 am: Updated with new, official video featuring “The Hanging Tree”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day