- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Machinima says it has purchased ad time on The Talking Dead, the TV show that AMC runs after The Walking Dead, thus becoming the first YouTube network to buy an ad that will air on traditional television. The 60-second commercial is for Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2, a multi-part, live-action online series.
The new Machinima series is a follow-up to Mortal Kombat: Legacy, one of the most-viewed series on the Internet with 60 million views thus far.
Legacy 2, like its predecessor, is directed by Kevin Tancharoen. Actors include Harry Shum Jr. of Glee, Casper Van Dien of Starship Troopers, Brian Tee of The Wolverine, Mark Dacascos of Cradle 2 the Grave and Ian Anthony Dale of Hawaii Five-O. Cary Tagawa, who played Scorpion in the 1995 theatrical version of Mortal Kombat, plays the same role in Legacy 2.
Legacy 2 is produced by Warner Bros. Digital Distribution.
“We wanted to promote it in a way that would break through the fog of familiarity,” said Machinima executive vp of marketing Kevin Doohan. “Connecting to a television event like The Walking Dead season finale, a show that our fans are deeply passionate about, will introduce millions more viewers to Machinima.”
See the TV commercial above.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day