- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The singer was accidentally pulled backward down a flight of stairs. It appears that a dancer was trying to remove her cape.
The performance of her song “Living for Love,” off her new Rebel Heart album, was the big finale at the end of the awards show. Funny coincidence, the song contains the lyrics, “lifted me up and watched me stumble” and “took me to heaven and let me fall down.”
Madonna dropped her mic as a result of the fall and missed a few subsequent lines. Once she got back up, she looked visibly upset, but continued the song without further disruption.
This was Madonna’s first Brit Awards performance in 20 years. Her appearance was hyped several times throughout the awards broadcast.
Shortly after the performance, Madonna blamed her cape for the mishap, writing on Instagram, “My beautiful cape was tied too tight!”
The Brit Awards — which were streamed live on YouTube before its telecast on Fuse — also featured performances by Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Paloma Faith, George Ezra, Royal Blood and Take That, plus a surprise performance by Kanye West.
Feb. 25, 2:30 p.m. An earlier version of this story incorrectly characterized the timeframe of her previous appearance at the Brit Awards.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day