- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
COLOGNE, Germany – Magnolia has boarded Tobias Lindholm’s Somali pirate drama A Hijacking, taking North American rights to the film from world sales group TrustNordisk.
Magnolia plans a theatrical release of A Hijacking in the second quarter of 2013.
The drama stars Pilou Asbaek (R), Soren Malling (The Killing) and Game of Thrones‘ actor Dar Salim as passengers on a Danish cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates who are forced to enter into a cynical game of life and death.
Lindholm’s second feature after his debut, the acclaimed prison drama R (2010), A Hijacking premiered in competition at the Venice Film Festival before heading to festival stops in Toronto, London, Toyko and, most recently, Thessaloniki, where it won the Golden Alexander – Theo Angelopoulos award for best feature as well as the FIPRESCI international critics prize.
The deal, negotiated between Magnolia’s SVP of Acquisitions, Dori Begley and TrustNordisk Head of Sales Susan Wendt, follows sales of A Hijacking to the U.K. (Arrow Films), France (Ad Vitam), Benelux (A-Film), Turkey/Cyprus (Calinos Entertainment) and Korea (Atnine Films).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day