- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
After news broke Friday that Maria Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger‘s son Christopher suffered injuries from a serious surfing accident last weekend, the former couple, who are in the midst of a divorce, presented a united front in a joint statement given to The Hollywood Reporter.
“A few days ago our son Christopher suffered an accident at the beach,” said the pair. “While it has been a very scary week, Christopher is surrounded by his family and friends.”
The 13-year-old boy, who was surfing in Malibu, slammed his face into an object on the beach and was initially thought to be in life-threatening condition according to reports.
But, his status has since improved and he is now expected to make a full recover say Shriver and Schwarzenegger.
“On behalf of our entire family, we want to sincerely thank the paramedics and lifeguards who responded so swiftly as well as the doctors, nurses, emergency room and hospital staff who have cared for our son,” they said in their statement to THR. “They have been extraordinary to him and to us. We thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers and ask for respect and privacy for Christopher and our family.”
Shriver filed for divorce from her husband of 25 years on July 1 after news broke that he’d fathered a child (born just one week after Christopher) with their housekeeper.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day