- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Former NBC newscaster and California first lady Maria Shriver has filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger. Shriver is asking for joint custody of their underage sons Patrick and Christopher and cited “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for the end of their 25-year union.
Shriver had signed the court documents on June 18, notes the Los Angeles Times, but waited until the Friday before the July 4th holiday weekend to send them to Los Angeles Superior Court, presumably to minimize attention on what is traditionally a slow news day.
The couple did not have a prenuptial agreement, which means Shriver may be awarded half of the wealth accumulated by Schwarzenegger throughout his Hollywood career.
Shriver and Schwarzenegger announced their separation on May 9. A week later, the Terminator star admitted that he had fathered a child out of wedlock with a household employee.
The estranged couple have four children together. His son by housekeeper Mildred Patricia Beana is 14 years old and was raised under the assumption that Beana’s then-husband was his father.
Beana worked in the power duo’s Brentwood home for more than 20 years. Shriver learned of the affair late last year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day