- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Speaking with The Daily News to promote his latest film, The Martian, Damon said he had the opportunity to play Daredevil in 2003 (Ben Affleck eventually took the role) but decided against it because he wasn’t familiar with the director. Had Chris Nolan directed, it would have been a different story.
“For [me and Ben] it was always ‘Daredevil’ — that’s the comic we read when we were kids,” said Damon. “But when that one came along (in 2003) I chickened out, because I couldn’t tell. I hadn’t seen the director (Mark Steven Johnson‘s) work and I didn’t know. So I just said, ‘No.’ Ben [Affleck] was like, ‘I gotta do it.
But today, he’d reconsider under the right circumstances. “If Chris Nolan came up to me and said, ‘I want to do Daredevil,’ I would be in,” Damon said.
That may be a long shot, however; Nolan has a deal to direct and produce Warner Bros. superhero films, which makes him a rival of Daredevil’s Marvel. Charlie Cox is already cast in the role in the Netflix series.
If Nolan isn’t in contention for the job, Damon is more than open to step in as director since directing is one of his big future priorities.
“Just putting that out there,” he said, joking.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day