- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Matt Damon’s father Kent Damon has died after a long battle with cancer, the actor’s publicist confirmed to the The Hollywood Reporter. He was 74.
Kent Damon, 74, died Dec. 14, Damon’s rep confirms, explaining why Matt Damon missed the recent Downsizing premiere in Los Angeles. The actor, who has been making the press rounds to promote his latest movie, which debuted this weekend, had canceled his red-carpet appearance at the Dec. 19 screening. At the time, a rep for Paramount Pictures said the Oscar winner was out of town dealing with an ongoing family matter.
Kent Damon suffered from the rare blood disease multiple myeloma and his condition had worsened in recent months. Sources had confirmed to THR after the Dec. 19 event that the actor’s father had been ill.
When speaking to Extra while promoting the Alexander Payne-directed movie, the star had said his father’s prognosis was not good. He was diagnosed in 2010.
“It’s been a slow unfolding. My dad’s sick, so that’s a process we’re going through,” the actor said Dec. 11. “We’ll take any prayers you got, so throw ’em up there.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day