- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first trailer for 21 Years: Richard Linklater shows the director’s far-reaching influence, as stars flock to honor the filmmaker onscreen — some more poignantly than others.
While Ethan Hawke notes that “he’s onto something special, that’s unique to him” and Julie Delpy describes him as wise and laidback, Jack Black also says, “He’s a sneaky Shakespeare, and Matthew McConaughey calls him “Ricky Ticky Linklater” (and not without an “alright, alright, alright” as well). Keanu Reeves also adds, “There’s no slacker in that Slacker.”
The tribute documentary, directed by Michael Dunaway and Tara Wood, is based on the idea that the first 21 years of an artist can define them, and looks back at that time period in Linklater’s life. Zac Efron, Kevin Smith, Billy Bob Thornton, Mark Duplass, Jay Duplass, Parker Posey, Jason Reitman, Miranda Cosgrove, Joey Lauren Adams, Louis Black, Rebecca Campbell, Nicky Katt, Greg Kinnear, Michael McKean, Steven Chester Prince, Anthony Rapp and Marissa Ribisi, among others, also appear in the film.
Watch the trailer below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day