- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Matthew Perry isn’t letting a down market stop him from unloading a lot of high-end Los Angeles real estate. In the space of just a few weeks, he’s put two houses, including a contemporary beach house in Malibu, on the market, and sold a condo in the celebrity-heavy Sierra Towers in West Hollywood. As if that wasn’t enough real estate activity, Perry also just purchased a $8.65 million house in the famous Bird Streets neighborhood of Los Angeles, already home to such stars as Jodie Foster and Keanu Reeves. AOL Real Estate has just dubbed him a “friend to realtors.”
The total price of the three listings plus the purchase price of his new house adds up to more than $30 million.
THR spoke to Hilton and Hyland agent Chad Rogers, who also starred on Bravo’s Million Dollar Listing, about Perry’s real-estate spree. “Maybe he’s just downsizing and just wants to have a primary home at this point,” says Rogers.
Here are the properties:
1. Purchased for $8.65 million: Perry’s new house in the Bird Streets sits above Sunset and has 4,000 square feet of living space, three bedrooms, four baths, with city and ocean views. There are walls of glass, an alfresco living room, theater with a $12,000 projector and, according to AOL Real Estate, “all the right brand names in appliances and high-end features: Poliform, Gaggenau, Sub-Zero, Crestron, Dornbracht faucets, Silestone slabs, Boffi accessories, Antonio Lupi, and a Renlita Australia garage door.” The garage door alone carries a $27,000 price tag.
“The Bird Streets have always been a very desirable part of the Hollywood Hills, because it’s really close to everything; you’re close to Beverly Hills, you have incredible views, you do have privacy and we just see a lot of these celebrities who want to be in that area, the most desirable part of the Hollywood Hills,” says Rogers.
2. On the Market for $13.5 Million: Perry is currently selling a 5,500-square-foot house on 2.3 acres in Malibu’s Serra Retreat. It if sells for near asking, he would double his money on the property. He bought the prime piece of real estate for $6.55 million in 2005. “It’s probably the best location in Serra Retreat,” says Rogers, who sees potential buyers paying a premium for the estate, listed at $13.5 million. Loaded with four bedrooms, 5.5 bathrooms, a sleek designer kitchen and plenty of space for outdoor entertaining, the house serves up signature California indoor/outdoor living.
As far as guard-gated communities in Malibu go, Serra Retreat probably ranks second only to the famed Malibu Colony (home to Sting, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brian Grazer) in terms of desirability and exclusivity.
(Mel Gibson is also listing in the same neighborhood as Perry. His Lavender Hill Farm property, a Hacienda-style compound on 2.56 well-planted acres is for sale at $11.75 million, after two price-chops. It was originally listed at $14.5 million.)
3. On the Market for $5.695 Million: The actor’s newest listing is a modernist Hollywood Hills gem in the popular celeb hideaway of Outpost Estates, where Jason Statham recently purchased a house from Ben Stiller. Perry’s 4,100-square-foot house, which has until now served as his primary residence, is now on sale for $5.695 million. Featuring bold and sophisticated architecture, the 1958-built structure features white terrazzo floors, pool and indoor/outdoor fireplaces. He picked up this one in 2006 for $1.7 million.
4. Sold for $2.85 Million: Perry recently sold a 22nd-floor, two-bedroom condo in the posh Sierra Towers building in West Hollywood (home to Sharon Osbourne and Cher) for $2.85 million. The actor lost money on this deal, having bought it for $3.2 million in 2005 from Elton John.
Perry is reportedly working with realtor Greg Holcomb of Partners Realty Trust, to broker the multi-million dollar transactions. Given his purchase of the $8.65 million Bird Streets house and an estimated net worth, reported by various websites of $70 million, it does not appear that the actor is in any particular need for cash. Holcomb did not return calls for comment and Perry’s PR representative had no comment.
Click here for the gallery of Perry’s houses.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day