- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The World War II film stars Andrew Garfield as conscientious objector Desmond T. Doss. Vince Vaughn, Sam Worthington, Theresa Palmer and Luke Bracey also star.
Lionsgate will open Hacksaw Ridge‚ the first film Gibson has directed since 2006’s Apocalypto, nationwide.
Doss, who, in Okinawa during the bloodiest battle of WWII, saved 75 men without firing a gun, believed that the war was just but killing was nevertheless wrong. He was the only American soldier in WWII to fight on the front lines without a weapon.
Worthington plays Captain Glover, who is in charge of the unit, while Vaughn plays Sergeant Howell, whose job is to get the new recruits ready for battle. As an army medic, Doss single-handedly evacuated the wounded near enemy lines, braved fire while tending to soldiers and was wounded by a grenade and hit by snipers. He was the first conscientious objector to ever win the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day