- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It’s not quite like Cardi B to have one of the most wow-inducing style details on her look be so shyly understated. Yet the “Bodak Yellow” rapper’s mega-wattage ruby nipple covers almost went undetected at Monday night’s Met Gala.
Upon closer inspection, the lavish, down-filled silk and organza gown by designer Thom Browne (that boasted a sweeping 10-foot train) was decorated with 44 carats-worth of rubies on her boobies. Valued at a whopping $250,000, the gems were a custom creation of jewelry designer Corina Mihaila Larpin’s luxe jewelry brand Stefere.
The singer’s dress, in an oxblood red hue, was further embellished with hand-embroidered bugle beads and 30,000 burned and dyed feathers and took 35 people over 2,000 hours to create. Pebbled leather platform brogues and a crystal-encrusted headpiece by milliner Stephen Jones finished off the look, styled by Kollin Carter.
“Kollin came to Stefere and asked if we could create ruby nipples for Cardi B. — of course, we said, ‘Yes!’ Next challenge was to find the right size and shape to create the perfect pair of ruby nipples for Cardi,” Larpin told THR. “Now we think everyone should have a pair of ruby nipples.”
(Stefere also designed the two statement white diamond rings worn by Janelle Monáe.)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Roe V. Wade