- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Michael Phelps has apologized for his Tuesday arrest for driving under the influence and speeding in Baltimore, Maryland.
“Earlier this morning, I was arrested and charged with DUI, excessive speeding and crossing double lane lines,” wrote Phelps in a multipart statement released on his Twitter page. “I understand the severity of my actions and take full responsibility. I know these words may not mean much right now but I am deeply sorry to everyone I have let down.”
Read more Michael Phelps Arrested for DUI
The 29-year-old Olympic swimmer, who was previously arrested for a DUI in 2004, failed field sobriety tests after being stopped by authorities.
“Mr. Phelps was identified as the driver by his driver’s license and appeared to be under the influence. He was unable to perform satisfactorily a series of standard field sobriety tests,” the Maryland Transportation Authority said in a Tuesday statement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day