- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TOKYO – Takashi Miike’s live-action version of Nintama Rantaro (Ninja Kids!!) is attracting remake interest from Hollywood, with negotiations reported to be already underway with a major production company.
The film attracted attention in the U.S. and inquiries about distribution from around the world after screening at the New York Asian Film Festival at the beginning of July.
The long-running manga and TV anime series – shown on public broadcaster NHK — about a group of young trainee ninjas was adapted by the prolific Miike (13 Assassins) and released in Japan last month.
The movie stars 10-year-old Seishiro Kato, who has been ubiquitous in Japan in recent years, appearing in countless TV commercials, variety shows, dramas and movies. Kato made his screen debut shortly after his first birthday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day