- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Days before his death, a slew of awards-contending actresses sat down with The Hollywood Reporter for a candid conversation in which the director’s name arose as part of a discussion about how they make themselves cry.
Watch more Trailers for 10 Classic Mike Nichols Films
“I spent my life growing up trying to make myself cry because I thought that’s what an actress had to do,” said The Theory of Everything star Felicity Jones. “Then realizing, just because it says to cry in the script doesn’t mean you have to do it.”
Added The Homesman star Hilary Swank: “There are other ways to mourn. There’s that shock and that moment of nothing comes out, and maybe a week later you have that cathartic release. There are different creative ways. But if Mike Nichols says, ‘No, no, I think you should [cry]’ — then I get it. … I can’t fight with him,” she added, laughing.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day